Thursday, August 28, 2008

H is for Hippo!

Many of my friends and family know that I have an affinity for Hippo's. No wise cracks from the audience please!! Michelle and I have collected them in many forms over the years - starting with the coolest white jade sculpture we found on a stop in San Fran during our honeymoon.

Well, as I pushed this blog out to the world a friend came back with information about one of the smartest and most effective inventions I've seen when it comes to solving the water issue in the third world - the Hippo Roller!

Basically a large plastic keg laid on it's side with handles coming out of the top and bottom. Villagers can fill it with water and roll it back to their home - instead of hauling heavy water jugs for miles at a time. And these Hippo Rollers carry 90 liters (20 gallons!) and are easy to maneuver. More fresh water, easier to transport. What a brilliant idea!

You can learn more about these awesome contraptions at http://www.hipporoller.org/ You can even offer a donation to these folks to help keep the work going.

To all of my friends working in small villages already - let me know if I can help you get some of these for the people there - it's a great augment to the work you're doing!

No comments: