WATCH YOUR EMAIL THURSDAY FOR "THE WORLD TOILET DAY PLAN"!
World Toilet Day is Thursday, November 19 and I’ll be passing along information from Water For People! Water for People has an exciting plan to get people talking about toilets—a topic not often discussed in everyday conversation. More than 6,000 people die every day, including 4,000 children, from diseases caused by poor sanitation and unsafe water. We’re making strides in improving water, but unsafe—or a complete lack of—toilets is still not capturing enough of the world’s attention to speed support to the communities that need help the most.
On Thursday, I’ll update this blog with information from Water for People asking you to take a simple action. A very quick, easy, fun, but important action. Your help is critical to the success of our viral (no pun intended) World Toilet Day plan. And we guarantee you’ll have fun. You get to talk about toilets and poop in a socially acceptable manner!
“Hmm, I don’t really know anyone who doesn’t have a toilet,” you say? Well, let me introduce you to Miguel, a child in Bolivia where four out of five families don’t have a toilet.
Miguel Angel Almendras is dancing—his little feet are kicking up dust on his family’s patio as he expertly shows off "la diablada." Dancing in Bolivia is a common expression of joy, found from formal festivals to impromptu demonstrations of individual happiness. Four-year-old Miguel Angel is dancing because he now has a toilet in his home.
“Before we had this beautiful bathroom, I used to go out in those fields with the cows to go to the bathroom. I didn’t like it, but when I had to or my sister had to go, we would run to the fields and duck down and go. Everybody in my pueblito used to go to the fields, and our caquita is bad for the pueblito.”
Read more about Miguel and this program at http://www.waterforpeople.org/site/News2?id=5839
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment